Sunday, April 1, 2012

Body Revolution Day 49 of 90

Day 49 = Rest Day

We started the day by going out for breakfast, then proceeded to go grocery shopping.  I gave up my Multi-Grain Pancakes with Maple Berry Syrup for this...


Today's food...
Breakfast:  Western Egg White Omelet.
I am definitely looking forward to my pancakes tomorrow. Since starting Body Revolution, I have grown to appreciate good CLEAN healthy foods. My meals that I prepare myself have be more satisfying than anything I have got while we have been out.  The omelet also came with beans and hash browns, I did not eat those though.
It doesn't even look that good in the picture>>>>>>>it was but my pancakes would have been better.






Lunch:  Fish Bruschetta
This was my own on the spot recipe idea.  I had a piece of Haddock that I thawed out and cooked up yesterday.  I didn't want it to go to waste so I thought of this little recipe for this leftover piece of fish. 

Good job!  Good recipe!
Here is my recipe...
Fish Bruschetta
Serves 1
INGREDIENTS:
1 Haddock fillet
1/4 cup of chopped tomato
1 tbsp chopped fresh Basil leaves
1 tsp Olive Oil, divided
2 slices of Body Wise 100% Whole Wheat bread
1 tbsp grated Parmesan Cheese
2 pinches of sea salt
2 pinches of black pepper

ONE: Heat 1/2 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet.  Cook the Haddock fillet and season with a pinch of sea salt and a pinch of black pepper.  While the fish is cooking, toast the two slices of Body Wise bread, set aside.  Once the fish is cooked, place it in a medium dish, flake apart and let cool slightly.

TWO: Add the chopped tomato, Basil leaves, remaining 1/2 tsp olive oil to the flaked Haddock.  Add in the remaining salt and pepper.  Stir together.

THREE:  Place the toast on a pan, then spoon the fish bruschetta onto the toast.  Sprinkle the Parmesan on top.  Place the pan in a toaster oven or a regular oven and turn onto broil, and broil just until the cheese is slightly melted.  3 minutes or so...just keep an eye on it...it doesn't take long.  Remove from oven, place on a plate cut and enjoy.

Nutrients per serving: Calories: 314, Carbs: 19g, Fat: 6g, Protein: 42g,  Fibre: 8g, Sodium: 448mg
You could add some garlic and/or to it if you wish...I think I will next time.  As I said it was an "on the spot" recipe creation.  This didn't take me very long to make up because I had cooked the Haddock yesterday.  But the fish does not take long to cook...maybe 3-4 minutes per side.

Snack: Meyer Lemon Bars
This recipe is from the April/May issue of Clean Eating magazine.  I cut mine smaller only because I used a different size pan, that is why I have 2 squares on the plate.

Mine don't look as Lemony(yellow) as the ones in the magazine. 
They tasted Lemony and very delicious.

Here is the recipe, but I do recommend you pick this issue up, there are many great recipes in it.

Meyer Lemon Bars
MAKES 16 BARS. HANDS-ON TIME: 10 MINUTES. TOTAL TIME: 25 MINUTES.
INGREDIENTS:
• Olive oil cooking spray
• 1 cup plus 2 tbsp light spelt flour, divided
• 4 tbsp organic unsalted butter, cold
• 6 tbsp organic evaporated cane juice, divided
• 2 Meyer lemons, zested and juiced (about 2 tsp zest and 1/2 cup juice)
• 2 large eggs
• 1/2 tsp baking powder
• Pinch sea salt

INSTRUCTIONS:
ONE: Preheat oven 350°F. Mist an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray

TWO: In a food processor, combine 1 cup flour, butter and 4 tbsp cane juice and pulse until mixture resembles cornmeal, 8 to 10 pulses. Spoon mixture into baking dish and firmly press into bottom, spreading evenly. Bake until fine cracks appear and edges begin to brown, 10 to 14 minutes.


THREE: Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine lemon zest and juice, eggs, remaining 2 tbsp flour and 2 tbsp cane juice, baking powder and salt. Whisk until pale yellow and well combined, 45 to 60 seconds. Remove crust from oven and pour lemon mixture over top, spreading evenly. Bake until set, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool completely in dish. Cut into 16 bars.

NUTRIENTS PER SERVING (1 2x2-INCH BAR):
CALORIES: 82, TOTAL FAT: 4 g, SAT. FAT: 2 g, CARBS: 11 g, FIBER: 1 g, SUGARS: 5 g, PROTEIN: 2 g, SODIUM: 34 mg, CHOLESTEROL: 34 mg

If you can’t find Meyer lemons, easy substitute: Simply use regular lemons and add an additional 1 tablespoon of organic evaporated cane juice in Step Three.

Dinner: Turkey Barley Pilaf
This meal was liked by all members in my family.  I found this one in Canadian Living Eat Right for Life magazine, Spring 2004 issue. 

I doubt you will be able to get your hands on this magazine, so here is the recipe...

Turkey Barley Pilaf
Makes 4 to 6 servings
INGREDIENTS:
2 tbsp butter(I used coconut oil instead of butter)
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups pearled barley
3 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey
1/2 cup corn kernels
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 carrot, diced
1/4 tsp each sea salt and pepper

ONE: In a large saucepan, melt butter(or coconut oil)over medium heat; cook mushroom, onions and garlic, stirring occasionally, until softened. 5 to 8 minutes.

TWO: Stir in barley.  Pour in stock and bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and cook just until barley is tender, about 35 minutes.

THREE: Add turkey, corn, peas and carrot; cook until heated through and carrot is tender-crisp, 5 to 8 minutes.  Stir in salt and pepper.

NUTRIENTS PER SERVING (per each of 6 servings)
Calories: 325, Protein: 18g, Total Fat: 7g(Sat. Fat 3g), Carbs: 49g, Fibre: 5g, Sodium: 571mg

Trina's Tip: You could easily turn this one into a soup.  Just have some more chicken stock on hand, and throw any leftovers into the stock, heat and enjoy it as a soup.

Wow...you got 3 recipes out of me today!

That was my rest day.  It was all about food!!!!  Good CLEAN healthy food.

Tomorrow's breakfast mmm...can't wait...

Until then...Stay Strong!
(I'll Stay Strong...I won't wake up in the middle of the night and eat my pancakes...don't you worry) 

Good night

Trina

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you posted the turkey barley pilaf recipe!!!!! It sounds so delicious!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete