Sunday, September 9, 2012

Day 7 of Round 2 Body Revolution - Kickstart

Day 7 = Rest Day...Yeah Right!

I gave my body a rest from working out, but it still worked hard in my kitchen.  I woke up early to get to the store to get some Dill for the first ever attempt at making Dill Pickles.  Before I left, I added my 6PackFitness gel freezer packs to the cold water bath the cucumber were having.  I asked my mum WHY they had to be in ice cold water, she told me that would may them crisper.  "All right then, I will do that", I told her.  Let's hope it works!



Today's food...
Breakfast: Scrambled Eggs & Pemeal Bacon

I started my day with a great breakfast and then made my way out the door.

Once I returned home from my little shopping trip(kid free by the way, it was delightful), I started on my Dill Pickles...

Starting with the jars, cleaned and ready to be filled...Dill, Garlic and Alum ready. 

The finished product.
I will let you know what they taste like in about 6 weeks.  They have to sit that long before enjoying them.
I am no longer a Dill-Pickle-Making-Virgin. 
I was able to make 9 jars out of the two baskets of mini cucumbers that I bought from the market yesterday.

Moving onto the next project of the day...Salsa...
Well...that's if I have any peppers left...

                               

Not to worry...we bought a big bag full.  I used a yellow and red bell pepper, along with 3 of the HOT peppers I bought.  I don't like my salsa too hot, so I didn't buy the hottest peppers out there. 

Lunch: Soup & Salad
I stopped to have some lunch.  It was great that it was one from leftovers.  I made up a quick little salad and heated up the soup...yum...it hit the spot for sure.

                         

We had to run back out to the store because I thought I had enough onions for the salsa, but I was wrong.  Plus, I wanted to see if I could find some small onions to make Pickled Onions.  My husband is from England and he loves Pickled Onions.
 
We returned home with LOTS of onions and it was time to shed more tears.  Onion chopping time...

Here I had the onions, peppers, garlic and cilantro all chopped and ready for the tomatoes...

These Roma tomatoes were great to work with, and they tasted great too.

 
Almost ready for cooking here. 
I used my roasting pan and cooked it in the oven at 325F for about an hour or so.

So...in the mean time I started on the small onions...

These are not the exact small onions I was looking for, but I thought I would give them a try anyway.  We saw some at the market yesterday, but I wasn't quite sure if the price was a good price or not.  After looking today and seeing what was out there, or should I say, "What wasn't out there", the price was right on the market onions.  Maybe next Saturday I will get them.
In the above picture the onion are awaiting peeling.  No tears with these ones. Yay!!! I just about died when I was chopping the ones for the salsa earlier.

As I was doing all what I was doing, it was getting closer to dinner time.  Tonight we were having fish.

Dinner: Grilled Salmon with Grilled Peppers & Onions with Tomatoes
I had salmon, my husband had Tilapia.  He does not like salmon at all so that is why we ate different types of fish tonight.

As dinner was ready, so was the salsa. 
I took it out of the oven and it looked and smelled wonderful...

I am not a big fan of eating hot(temperature hot) salsa but I just had to try a bit.  So I put a small spoonful on my plate and enjoyed it with my salmon.

After dinner the Salsa project goes on...

The jars were ready, the lids were hot and ready.

I filled the jars, and the Salsa was completed.
As I was cleaning up, I could hear the popping of the lids as they sealed.  Funny...how that small noise could make me so happy.  It was the same with the Dill Pickles earlier in the day...with each pop, there came a smile.

NEXT!!!
The Pickled Onions...

They are peeled and covered with the Brine.  They must stand like this overnight.
I will finish these in the morning after my workout.  See waking up at 4am and working out could start me up a whole new business...I could make Dill Pickles, Salsa and Pickled Onions for people...haha.  I would definitely keep the vampires away with all the garlic I cleaned today.
I will show you a picture of the finished Pickled Onions tomorrow.

Snack: Yogurt with Almond Butter & Cinnamon
A well deserved break after slaving in the kitchen ALL day.  

So simple.  So Good!
No slaving...I actually really enjoyed today.  It gave me a real sense of accomplishment.  My mum has made Dill Pickles and Salsa(along with many other things) for years now, and everyone in my family love it.  I made salsa for the first time last year and since it turned out great, I knew I had to make some more.  It also made me appreciate even more, all the hard work my mum has done for me, my sisters and brothers and our families all our lives. 
Thanks Mum!

 Well the time has come and gone for me to get my A$$ in bed.  4am comes PRETTY quick.

Until then...Stay Strong!

Good night

Trina

P.S. Only 3 more sleeps until Madonna!!!!!!  Well that's if I don't have any naps in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment